Travelling in Europe

Starting to do business in Europe can be exciting and very fruitful – but may also involve overseas travel.

Read our guide to travelling in Europe for guidance on the documentation you’ll need, driving licences and insurance, what you can bring back with you, and what to do if you fall ill.

Documents to take with you

passportYou don’t need a visa for travelling within the EU, but do take your passport (and that of any children travelling with you – it’s not enough for them to be on your passport).

Though you don’t legally need your passport to enter most EU countries, it is recommended that you carry it anyway as a form of identification. However, you will always be required to produce a valid passport or ID card to enter Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK.


Driving licenses and insurance

car-resizedThough new driving licenses are now in the form of a plastic card, with a standard European format and tougher security protection, existing paper licenses are still valid throughout Europe (but will be changed to the new format when you renew them).

Most insurance policies automatically cover drivers on a third party basis for driving in the EU, but do check the specific terms with your own insurance company.



What can I bring back?

If you manage to fit in some shopping whilst abroad you’ll need to know what you can bring back, duty-free, into the UK.

Alcohol and tobacco: 800 cigarettes; 200 cigars; 10 litres spirits; 90 litres wine;110 litres beer.

What if I fall ill?

If you’re EU national you’re entitled to the same public healthcare service as the residents of whichever EU country you’re in.

But remember that each country has its own rules about what their residents are entitled to – which could be the partial or full cost of medical care.

Remember to keep all your bills, prescriptions and receipts so you can claim a refund if necessary. European health cards simplify the procedure and can speed up the reimbursement of costs.