Poole’s campaign for Fairtrade Town Status – Message from Poole Council
Fairtrade Fortnight Mon 25 Feb to Sun 10 March 2013!
Poole needs your help during Fairtrade Fortnight in its campaign for Fairtrade Town Status. Becoming a Fairtrade Town shows Poole’s continued commitment to supporting Fairtrade products, which guarantees disadvantaged farmers and workers in the developing world a better deal. We would love to hear from you if you are planning any activities for Fairtrade Fortnight or wish to support Poole’s campaign for Fairtrade status.
What can you do to help?
- Tell us if you are using or selling FAIRTRADE mark products by completing the attached one page survey (click on this link to complete PDF online, or print & post to address below).
- Buy products with the FAIRTRADE Mark and encourage local retail and catering outlets to stock more products
- Arrange an event/activity during Fairtrade Fortnight to raise awareness amongst local residents, community groups and co-workers.
- Let us know what you have planned. Possible ideas may include:
- “Go Bananas” Day – Host a day and encourage people to wear yellow (or even dress up as a banana!) to show their support for Fairtrade.
- Fairtrade coffee and tea (and chocolate!) mornings – Taste test some of the many FAIRTRADE Mark products that are now available, including many big name brands.
- Fairtrade displays – Display information to raise awareness of Fairtrade to others. There are lots of free resource materials available on the Fairtrade Foundation website.
- Fairtrade sculptures – make a sculpture using recycled materials and packaging from Fairtrade products
What do we need to do to achieve Fairtrade status for Poole? In order to gain Fairtrade status for Poole, a number of goals that need to be achieved, including:
- Availability of FAIRTRADE Mark products in several retail & catering outlets, with at least:
- Four Fairtrade product ranges readily available in each retail outlet
- Two Fairtrade products served in each local catering outlet
- Local workplaces and community organisations support Fairtrade and use Fairtrade products whenever possible.
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade.
We look forward to hearing from you soon! Please help spread the word about Poole’s campaign and forward this to your networks. Please email us at: email@example.com or contact Amy Gallacher on T: 01202 633398 or E: Amy Gallacher, Strategy Directorate, Borough of Poole, Civic Centre, Poole, Dorset, BH15 2RU.