Success of WSX project for young entrepreneurs
WSX project Speed You UP has been managed in the UK by Programme Manager and Trainer Adriana Crear for the last two years. Aimed at young people aged 16 to 25 who are NEETs (Not in Employment, Education or Training) or at risk of becoming a NEET and live in the Hampshire or Surrey area. The project has proved a resounding success.
Delivering various modules about entrepreneurship, during training sessions the learners were encouraged to become self-employed. Many of the learners who attended the programme have decided to set up their own businesses and then showcased them during business pop-up events.
Funded by the European Regional Development Fund, this project was far-reaching over Europe with 12 programme partners involved. In the UK the successes of the project have been:
- 116 students trained in 5 schools
- 142 students trained in outside school organisations
- 3 entrepreneurial hubs created within schools: Farnborough 6th Form College, Kings International College and Treloar School for severely disabled children
- 3 entrepreneurial hubs created in outside school organisations: Aldershot Enterprise Centre, Workshop Employability Hub in Camberley and the Future Skills Training Centre in Bordon
- 26 business pop-up events held
- 12 trainers from both in schools and outside school organisations have been trained to deliver the programme.
Additionally, one of the teachers who taught the course at Farnborough 6th Form College, Saffron Owen will continue to deliver the programme until the end of May.
Adriana has thoroughly enjoyed the experience of helping young people to realise their potential and become entrepreneurs,
“Regionally I would like to say thank you to all stakeholders: schools and colleges and outside school organisations in Hampshire and Surrey for enabling me to reach the students and deliver the programme to 258 learners in total in line with internal guidance in the respective outside school organisations and within the schools. It is fantastic that out of the pop-up business events that were held some of these businesses have gone on to be viable.
Thanks to you, many young people have set up businesses and started their journey to go on to financial independence! ”
Read the final Speed You UP newsletter, Partner edition here.
WSX Enterprise Ltd
A non-profit organisation WSX Enterprise Ltd runs a wide range of projects delivering business support in the UK as well as working with partners in Europe. As some examples, our projects support access to finance, digital skills, start-up guidance, and general business advice. Our team includes a wide range of business advisors with a breadth of industry experience supporting small and medium-sized businesses across our region.